Tuesday 10 April 2012

Lost In Ostinato (Piano EP Plan)

I know, I know, I have many EP plans that I talk excitedly about for a few days and then change my mind. However, I feel more set in this one. It's called 'Lost in Ostinato' and is kind of a play on the film title 'Lost in Austin' (which I say over and over again in my head because I like the way it rolls, not because I like the film which I have not seen), and ostinato in music meaning a repeated, generally bass, pattern, and that was one of my musical challenges to myself over a few years - can I write a few pieces that are diverse enough to be enjoyed, but use a similar bass ostinato?

Basically it will be a collection of piano pieces composed from ages 13-16. The track listing isn't fully decided, but I feel confident that it will contain Satirical Glory, Stricken/Vigour (haven't decided which name yet), Enjangled and another I haven't found the right name for yet. The pieces are generally vigorous in nature, pretty short and to the point and generally a right laugh to play. It draws on the minimalist influences of Ludovico Einaudi, Michael Nyman, Phillip Glass and Yann Tiersen. For the album artwork I'm thinking peas with shocked or happy faces drawn on. Don't ask why!

No comments:

Post a Comment